In celebration of Financial Literacy Month, New York Times best-selling author and nationally syndicated radio talk show host, Dave Ramsey, along with Fifth Third Bank, invited high school students to test their personal finance knowledge by taking the $53,000 Financial Literacy Challenge.
Prizes included one $36,000 college scholarship, a $5,000 scholarship, a $2,500 scholarship and Toshiba 13.3" Chromebook 2 laptops. In addition, each of the winners' schools will receive Foundations in Personal Finance curriculum.
A huge thanks goes to Fifth Third Bank for their generous sponsorship of the contest and their commitment to providing financial literacy resources for teens.
Fifth Third Bank believes that lives are improved when people have the knowledge and tools to make wise financial decisions. With this in mind, Fifth Third joined forces with Dave Ramsey in 2010 with the shared mission of teaching students how to win with money for the rest of their lives.
One in four high schools across the country have used Dave Ramsey's Foundations in Personal Finance curriculum to teach students how to budget, save, spend wisely, and build wealth so they can live generously.
Fifth Third Bank has provided the Foundations curriculum to more than 2,000 schools in their communities, reaching more than 600,000 students to date, with the goal of reaching more than 1 million students by 2017.
Through both the Foundations curriculum sponsorship and The Financial Literacy Challenge, Fifth Third Bank and Ramsey Solutions work together to see lives improved through financial literacy.
Fewer than half of high school seniors qualify as financially literate, and more than 7 million borrowers are in default on student loans for college. Students are facing tremendous financial challenges without the basic knowledge needed to thrive in today's economy.
Ramsey Education Solutions created the Foundations in Personal Finance curriculum to meet these needs. One in four high schools across the country have used the curriculum to teach students how to save, avoid debt, budget with intention, and build wealth so they can live generously. The Foundations curriculum meets or exceeds standards in all 50 states and meets all national standards for personal finance.
Fifth Third Bank, Member FDIC.
Terms And Conditions
Dave Ramsey's High School Financial Literacy Challenge
Copyright 2015 Lampo Licensing, LLC, all rights reserved.
1. Who is eligible: You must be a legal resident of one of the 50 United States or the District of Columbia, and at least 13 years of age. You must also be enrolled and in good academic standing with a public or private high school or equivalent accredited home school program. You must be classified as a freshman, sophomore, junior or graduating senior. United States and Tennessee laws will govern this giveaway and contest. NO PURCHASE NECESSARY. Product purchases or other interactions with The Lampo Group or Fifth Third Bank will not increase your chances of winning. VOID WHERE PROHIBITED BY LAW.
2. Who is not eligible: Executives, owners, and employees of Lampo or of radio stations carrying The Dave Ramsey Show®; ELP’s or other vendors of The Lampo Group, Inc.; Any executive or employee of Fifth Third Bank; persons working on this contest at any level in any capacity or working for any outside companies or agencies involved in this giveaway or contest, or if any of your immediate family members fall into any of these categories are not eligible.
3. How to Enter: Enter this contest only by completing and submitting the Dave Ramsey’s High School Financial Literacy Challenge (hereafter “The Challenge”), which is available at www.53schools.com. The Challenge must be actually completed and submitted during the Entry Period for the entrant to be qualified to win. Limit one entry per person. Students must achieve a score of 100% on the Challenge to be entered into the Toshiba 13.3" Chromebook 2 Intel Celeron 4 GB Memory drawing or scholarship contest. Only graduating seniors who score a 100% and complete the additional essay portion of The Challenge will qualify for scholarship award drawing and essay consideration, as more fully described below.
4. Entry Period: Entries will be accepted from April 7, 2015 (12:00 a.m. CST), through April 24, 2015 (11:59 p.m. CST) (“Entry Period”).
5. The Scholarships: One grand prize full-ride scholarship payable only to an educational institution will be awarded. Full-ride scholarship is defined in this contest as a scholarship toward college expenses with a maximum payable amount of $36,000. The grand prize may be used in its entirety in the 2015-2016 academic year or may be spread out in equal annual installments over the 2015-2016 through 2018-2019 academic years. Any funds not used by the end of the 2018-2019 academic year will be forfeited. One second prize of a $5,000 scholarship and one third prize of a $2,500 scholarship payable only to educational institutions will be awarded. The $5,000 scholarship and the $2,500 scholarship must be applied to college expenses within the 2015-2016 academic year. Any amount not applied to college expenses within the 2015-2016 academic year will be forfeited. Only graduating high school seniors who scored a 100% on The Challenge, completed the essay question in the quiz and have been accepted to a college, university, or technical school offering post-secondary education are eligible for the scholarship prizes. College expenses are defined as tuition, fees, room and board, books, school supplies, or other expenses required by the educational institution for attendance and participation in the student’s academic program.
6. The Toshiba 13.3" Chromebook 2 Intel Celeron 4 GB Memory: All eligible entrants, excluding high school seniors, who are classified as freshmen, sophomores, or juniors, who score a 100% on The Challenge will be entered in the drawing for one of three Toshiba 13.3" Chromebook 2 Intel Celeron 4 GB Memory (est. retail value of $329.00 ea.). High school seniors are not eligible to win Chromebooks. In the event the prizes are unavailable, Lampo reserves the right to substitute another product of equivalent value for the Toshiba 13.3" Chromebook 2 Intel Celeron 4 GB Memory.
7. Selection of Winners: Selection of winners in each category of prizes shall be determined as follows:
a. Scholarships. Eligible entrants having scored a 100% in The Challenge and submitted a complete essay will be entered for a random computer drawing. Fifty complete entries will be drawn and those fifty essays will be reviewed by representatives of Fifth Third Bank. Fifth Third Bank will select three winners based upon the quality of the entrants’ answers to the essay question. Odds of winning will depend upon both the number of eligible entries and the quality of your essay.
b. Toshiba 13.3" Chromebook 2 Intel Celeron 4 GB Memory. Winners of the Chromebooks shall be selected by Lampo via a random, computer generated drawing. The first three entries drawn will each win a Toshiba 13.3” Chromebook 2. Odds of winning will depend upon the number of eligible entries.
c. Foundations in Personal Finance High School Edition Curriculum. The high schools of each of the six student winners will each receive a set of the Foundations in Personal Finance High School Edition curriculum. A set includes one Teacher Edition and one set of Instructional DVDs, plus 30 Student Texts. The estimated value of each curriculum set is $1,500.00.
8. Winner’s Obligations: The prize winners are required to execute an affidavit of eligibility as well as a sponsors’ liability and publicity releases within five days following the date of notification. Winner shall also be required to show proof of enrollment and academic good standing at the student’s current school. Winners under the age of 18 must also provide written parental consent before receipt, payment and/or distribution of any winning. Non-compliance within these obligations may result in disqualification and selection of an alternate winner. Return of any prize or prize notification as undeliverable may result in disqualification and selection of an alternate winner. The winner grants to The Lampo Group, Inc. and/or Fifth Third Bank the right to use and publish their names and appropriate images in print, and in any other media in connection with this promotion, for advertising and promotional purposes of this giveaway and contest without additional compensation unless prohibited by law. The winner must sign and return an appropriate IRS form, if applicable, before receiving a prize. Winners must satisfy all obligations within ten (10) business days of notice of winning.
9. Incomplete or Multiple Entries: One entry per person. Multiple automated entries, or entries submitted by others on your behalf, or entries submitted by you using different identities or addresses, will be considered fraudulent, rendering you ineligible for any prize on any day. Incomplete entries will not be eligible to win.
10. Cumulative Prizes: The total value of all prizes, inclusive of all scholarships, curriculum sets, and tablets awarded during this giveaway will be approximately $53,487.00.
11. Entries not received: The Lampo Group, Inc. and Fifth Third Bank shall not be responsible for lost, late, or misdirected entries; or for any computer, online, telephone or technical malfunctions that may occur. All entries become the property of The Lampo Group, Inc. and will not be returned. Odds of winning a prize will depend on the number of eligible entries received. Neither product purchases nor email or mobile opt-ins will increase an individual’s chances of winning.
12. Taxes: All taxes on prizes are the responsibility of the prize winners. Winners must sign an IRS form W-9 before receiving any prize. Pursuant to IRS Circular 230, these Rules nor any other communication regarding this contest and giveaway is for the purpose of helping you avoid any penalties that may be imposed by federal tax law, and no affected taxpayer may use this contest or its rules in that manner.
13. Entrant's agreement: By entering, you agree to abide by the terms of these official rules and by the decisions we make regarding this giveaway and contest, which are final and binding on all matters. If you do not agree to that, please do not enter.
14. Announcing winners: Winners will be announced on or before May 31, 2015 and will be notified of their winnings via a telephone call to the winner’s school. Winners not contacted by phone at the time of their selection will be notified by e-mail and/or by a later telephone call.
15. Signing documents: If you win, you will be required to sign an affidavit of eligibility and a release before you receive your prize. If you decide you would rather not sign the release which we submit to you, you will not receive your prize.
16. Entrant's release: By entering, you agree in advance to release and hold harmless The Lampo Group, Inc. and Fifth Third Bank and their subsidiaries, affiliates, directors, officers, employees, and agents from any and all liability or any injuries, loss, or damage of any kind arising from, or in connection with, this contest and giveaway. Lampo and Fifth Third Bank and their agents have neither made nor are in any manner responsible or liable for any warranty, representation or guarantee, expressed or implied, in fact or in law, relating to the prizes including but not limited to its quality, merchantability or fitness for a particular purpose.
17. Termination of Contest: Should this contest and giveaway be terminated prior to the end of the Entry Period, which sponsors may do at their sole discretion, a notice will be posted on www.53schools.com.
18. Jurisdiction and Venue: Tennessee law applies to this contest and giveaway. Void where prohibited for any reason. All disputes resulting in legal action shall be resolved in the courts of Williamson County, Tennessee and Entrant consents to the exclusive jurisdiction of those courts. Should sponsors find it necessary to seek legal assistance to enforce their rights, their damages, if any, shall include its reasonable legal expenses and fees.
19. Internet and mobile: Sponsors reserve the right, at our sole discretion, to disqualify anyone who tampers with the entry process, and to cancel, terminate, modify, or suspend the contest and giveaway if anything required for its conduct should malfunction or be deemed illegal.
20. Disclaimer: Sponsors assume no responsibility for anything that happens outside of our control to delay or prevent your entry, and we assume no responsibility for anything within our control that delays or prevents your entry except where by the exercise of ordinary care we could have kept it from happening or promptly corrected it.
21. Winners' list: For a list of winners, send a self-addressed, stamped envelope to The Lampo Group, Inc., 1749 Mallory Lane, Brentwood, Tennessee 37027, Attn. Financial Literacy Contest, Education Solutions Department. Requests received later than thirty (30) days following the last drawing date will not be filled.
22. The sponsor: This giveaway and contest is co-sponsored by us, The Lampo Group, Inc., 1749 Mallory Lane, Brentwood, Tennessee 37027 and Fifth Third Bank, 38 Fountain Square Plaza, MD 1090BN Cincinnati, Ohio 45263.